Interesting Chris.
My thoughts are same as Janets. I've seen an increased number of people with skin conditions (cross/industry) whilst undertaking other health surveillance.  When asked, none seem to link their skin conditions with the working environment, therefore do not report as such.

Best wishes
                   Mary

From: Chris Packham <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, 7 June 2013, 8:51
Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] Occupational skin disease

I have just spent three days in Amsterdam at the Occupational and Environmental Exposure of the Skin to Chemicals  Conference(OEESC2013). This conference is held every two years, alternating between Europe and North America. It is unique in that it is not just another scientific conference but one with the aim of exploring how scientific knowledge can be utilised in the prevention of damage to health due to occupational skin exposure.

A lot of new information, in particular about how genetic mutations in Filaggrin in the skin can render the skin less effective as a barrier lead to what we call atopy, i.e. a sensitive skin predisposed to both irritant and allergic skin conditions.

Some interesting figures from this conference:
Occupational skin disease accounts for 35% of all cases of occupational ill health in Germany
Occupational skin disease is the most common cause of occupational ill health in Denmark and in the USA.
In the USA occupational skin disease exceeds occupational respiratory disorders (with the exception of asbestos which is now seen as largely a historical issue) at a ratio of 2.4:1
For many chemicals skin uptake is the major route by which systemic damage, i.e. damage to internal organs and systems, occurs, yet little exists in most training in health and safety issues on skin  compared with respiratory exposure.
Chris

Chris Packham
FRSPH, FIIRSM, FInstSMM, MCMI, RSP, MBICSc
EnviroDerm Services
Unit 10, Building 11, The Mews, Mitcheldean, GL17 0SN
Tel: 01386 832 311
Mobile: 07818 035 898
www.enviroderm.co.uk