Daniel Boyarin has argued something like this for the Hebrew faith, which
he says was not "Judaism" until later. But, I don't remember this being
argued of Christians.

I would find it hard to believe that Christians living in Andalus before
the reconquest had never met a Jew or Muslim. And what of the crusaders?
Did they never have close encounters with Jews or Muslims ?

Boyarin's argument is on different grounds. It seems to be that the Jews
did not see themselves as a religion but a people.

If you haven't read it already, you might find: _The Spectral Jew:
Conversion and Embodiment in Medieval Europe_, Steven F. Kruger 2005;
instructive in this regard.

V. K. Inman