From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Madeleine Gray [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: June 23, 2013 7:42 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [M-R] IHS trigram

Dear learned members,

This is an enquiry which spills over into the post-medieval period (however defined) - but I know the list will have expertise which can help. As an offshoot of work on medieval tomb carvings in Wales, I have been looking at some later sixteenth- and seventeenth-century Welsh tomb carvings which include the IHS trigram. My initial assumption was that these were memorials to Jesuits but I rapidly reconsidered. I then decided they must be recusants who were sufficiently powerful in their local communities to be able to be commemorated with an overtly Catholic device - but now I'm not even sure about that.

The trigram is of course familiar on later medieval tombs but all the pre-Reformation examples I've seen are in black-letter script. From the mid sixteenth century it also starts to appear in square Roman capitals with a cross sitting on the cross-stroke of the H. A developed version of this, with three nails under the trigram and sometimes a sunburst, was the emblem of the Society of Jesus. I have seen the letters IHS and the cross in square Roman capitals on a couple of fifteenth-century Italian depictions of Bernardine of Siena, so that style is not unknown pre-Ignatius, but the earliest example I have found on a tomb is from the 1550s.

I am fairly confident that most of the examples I have found are late sixteenth or seventeenth century, but the evidence is stylistic: I have no securely dated examples. I've been reading Blake et al on the cult of the Holy Name of Jesus in Gaimster and Gilchrist, Archaeology of Reformation, and there does seem to be some ambiguity: the trigram was often regarded as evidence of 'popery' but was also used by people who could have been described as Arminians.

Does anyone know of any datable examples of the trigram in square capitals on a tomb pre-1550? And does anyone have any more thoughts on its significance after that date?

Best wishes
Maddy

Dr Madeleine Gray PhD, FRHistS

Reader in History/ Darllenydd mewn Hanes

School of Humanities and Lifelong Learning /Ysgol Ddyniaethau a Dysgu Gydol Oes

University of South Wales/Prifysgol De Cymru
Caerleon Campus/Campws Caerllion,
Newport/Casnewydd  NP18 3QT Tel: +44 (0)1633.432675

'Small wonder politicians no longer read history. It would give them nightmares.' (Simon Jenkins)