Hello all,

As has been noted, the question really depends on what you are aiming at. If you are really looking for a comparison of different uses in different places, you're going to need (I think - please correct me) essentially a bunch of local studies. I'm not even quite sure how one would go about writing such a general treatment (not that it couldn't be done; just that it would be a bear). There are too many variables, and an author would have to decide on what s/he would be measureing.  If you're looking for a "general treatment" in broad outlines, I'd have thought starting with John Harper, The Forms and Order of the Liturgy in the Western Church (citation might be off; I'm away form home and give it from memory) might be a place to start. But this is very broad in brush strokes.

cecilia

Sent from my iPad