Dear All,

I recently sent out an online survey to be completed as part of my dissertation course in MSC Econ Information and Library Studies at Aberystwyth University. The dissertation title and purpose of the survey is to find out the role of public libraries in bridging the digital divide by identifying how they are assisting digitally excluded people and exploring the challenges in providing online access. I would like to thank those who completed it, your time is appreciated. Some of you were very generous and provided a lot of insight into what goes on in public libraries and the issues you face. The key findings are highlighted below:

It was clear that libraries are doing the most they can to help the digital divide with the limited resources. Staffing issues (lack of training, confidence and enough staff) and out of date technology (including slow internet connections) were reoccuring themes. This all comes down to lack of funding!

Thank you again.

Kind regards,
Nehal