-----Original Message-----
From: Library and Information Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John Briggs
Sent: 05 June 2013 21:31
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: CILIP Re-Branding: Conspiracy Theories

With the Re-Branding fiasco heading to its inevitable conclusion, with the General Meeting and the passing of the motion (unanimously, perhaps?), it is worth considering how we got here, the motives of the protagonists, and whether any of this was deliberate - and if so, for what purpose?

The re-branding was dreamed up by CILIP's permanent staff, but did they foresee the outcome? Was it perhaps intended to damage the Council/Trustees/Board by association (so to speak)? Phil Bradley's explanation of his role has been less than convincing: was he being offered the opportunity to endorse the survey exercise? Did he have the option to stop it before it did any damage?

Because what has also been happening at the same time has been the Governance Review, which seems to have resulted in yet another power grab by the Council/Trustees/Board, who are proposing to give themselves the role of electing the President. As this looks suspiciously like an Executive President, the role of the Chief Executive inevitably comes into question.

It will be interesting to see how the re-branding fiasco plays into this power struggle - I suppose it will depend on who takes the blame.
--
John Briggs