From: Caroline Moss-Gibbons <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, 21 June 2013, 10:39
Subject: CILIP re-brand: 'guest' entry on President's Blog claims motion denies members choice

Dear All,

I am rather surprised by the negative tone of the 'guest' entry by John Dolan on the CILIP President's Blog, and the conclusion he draws:

Do read the whole thing (link above), but here are some extracts for flavour.

[extract]

Vote for choice

...Motion to halt the rebrand will deny members choice
Over 100 members have signed in support of holding a General Meeting to halt the rebrand, so this meeting will take place on the 8 July. I and Council completely respect the members’ rights to call for this meeting. But if a majority of members vote in favour of the motion, in favour of halting the rebrand, then the right of all members to vote on a new brand or keep CILIP will be lost. Members will be denied their right to decide on this very important issue.

...I urge you to vote against the motion.  If you vote for the motion you will not get the choice of seeing the outcome of the work that has already been done and deciding if it reflects your ambition for you as a member and for the future of CILIP.
Vote against the motion and vote for choice.
[end extract]

I rather thought that by calling for the General Meeting the membership have already 'voted for choice' rather than accept the expensive fait accompli of a re-brand.  The Motion calls for a halt to the re-brand in order to focus on "the urgent tasks of advocacy for the profession."

A reminder of the Motion in full, with meeting details:

GENERAL MEETING:

[extract]

A General Meeting of the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals will be held in the Ewart Room at CILIP, 7 Ridgmount Street, London WC1E 7AE on Monday 8 July at 1.00 pm to discuss the motion:

“This General Meeting believes the current rebranding exercise should be halted, believing it to be a distraction from the urgent tasks of advocacy for the profession, and a waste of scarce resources.”

This meeting has been called and the motion submitted under Bye-law 22 by a requisition of Individual Members of CILIP.
[end extract]

Full details of the meeting, and the online proxy form for those of you who cannot attend in person are available on the CILIP website at:

Tom Roper, who kicked off the call for a General Meeting has already stated that he is happy to be nominated as a proxy by members who cannot attend.  He posted his address  details (needed for the proxy form) on this list, and here they are again, for your ready reference:

Tom Roper
Clontarf
49 Southdown Road
Seaford