From: UK medical/ health care library community / information workers [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Phul Anita
Sent: 25 June 2013 14:39
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Advanced Search Function on the Cochrane Library

Dear All,

Many thanks for all your replies.

It seems that brackets or making sure use of the search manager is made are essential for Cochrane to interpret this search string correctly. I would usually use these options for myself but would have to think how to make them a bit more palatable to a health professional. The question really is how advanced should we go before we start putting people off? This of course could be different depending on who we are training. With some people I don't touch the Cochrane interface at all - just get them to search for things on NHS Evidence and show them how to filter to systematic reviews on there. With other people I might feel they can make more use of the original Cochrane interface.

As some of you have noted, Cochrane doesn't tend to yield large search sets anyway - at least never in the systematic reviews databases - which is mostly what it is used for. So in some ways this does somewhat diminish the need for very advanced search strategies which might be counter-productive in that they might put people off anyway.

Thank you for sharing your ideas and thoughts.

Best wishes,
Anita.

******************************************************************* This e-mail is confidential and legally privileged, if you are not the intended recipient please accept our apologies. Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this email, or take any action in reliance on its contents - to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform us that this message has been delivered incorrectly before deleting it. Thank you for your co-operation. *******************************************************************