From: learning development in higher education network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of M. Gough
Sent: 24 June 2013 23:03
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: teaching students to read and critique a research paper

Hello all

First, thank you for your last responses to my first posting here asking for ideas around describing what I do. I managed to come up with a suitable paragraph thanks to your suggestions. It's good to know there are others out there.

Following the creative discussion can anyone suggest how I can make a forthcoming 2 hr lecture/class with  up 150 students more interesting?

Our Level 5  nursing students have to produce their first ever 2000 word research critique requiring them  to  appraise a research paper from selection provided. Although it is in a lecture theatre, I would like to spend most of the time getting them to work in smaller groups to work on various activities around the appraisal/critical process. I asked some of the students what they would find helpful and answers range from 'essay writing structures' to 'work through a research paper with us', understanding what 'all those words our lecturer was using', 'backing up everything we say' and 'using academic words and phrases'.  .

I have a smaller group of Level 6 students who need the same but at a higher level as they are PG.

As I am really not at home with such very large groups so I'm looking for some creative ideas that will make the session manageable, useful and enjoyable!

Any ideas or pointers anyone?

Kind regards

Mandy