From the south west (via Irish http://www.aldinhe.ac.uk/resources/files/plymouth13/3-1_abstract.pdf) coffers of student and staff joint wisdom:

A Peer Assisted Learning Scheme (PALS) leader and I ran a creative workshop at the last ALDinHE conference that I think was successful. The main activity was getting people to model, using playdough, coloured paper, glue, string, pipe cleaners, coloured pens etc., the writing process. I found it fun and relaxing, but the ‘serious’ aspect was in the way people had to think conceptually and metaphorically in order to model (and therefore consider and reconsider) what the process was like. One small group made a washing line argument on which they hung ideas with pegs; another group plaited various materials together, seamlessly or otherwise adding in or weeding out other materials along the way; another group made a sort of flow chart of different materials that represented each stage and pinned it all to the wall; another group made a sort of abacus carousel on which objects could be moved around on the wire; another group used three colours of paper to represent description, analysis and evaluation and put them together in wheels within wheels to represent argument structure… I think the secret here is the conjunction of criticality with creativity, logical thinking with lateral.

Any use?

Best,

Eloïse

Learning Development with Plymouth University

www.learningdevelopment.plymouth.ac.uk

From: learning development in higher education network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Andrew Walsh
Sent: 25 June 2013 10:10
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Play / games / craft for information skills

Dear collective wisdom,

I’m plotting a series of workshops next year where I’ll use play (either making things or playing/making games) to get people to talk about information skills / academic skills in a library setting – very brief outline here: https://library.hud.ac.uk/blogs/library/blog/2013/06/25/creative-library-workshops/

I’m hoping that some of the things created (especially games?) could be used by the library afterwards with a bit of extra work…

Anyone done anything similar? Any tips, stuff to read, pointers of any sort before I pin it down a bit more?

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew Walsh MSc MCLIP FHEA

Academic Librarian, University Teaching Fellow, National Teaching Fellow

Music, Humanities, Media, Education and Professional Development.

Information Literacy Practitioner of the Year, 2012

Innovation, Inspiration and Creativity Conference: Using Positive Disruption to improve libraries (I2C2)  http://i2c2conference.org/ March 2014.

New book due out late 2013: Only Connect: Discovery pathways, library explorations, and the information adventure,  http://innovativelibraries.org.uk/onlyconnect/

---