Paul

From: learning development in higher education network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Holley, Debbie
Sent: 25 June 2013 07:34
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: teaching students to read and critique a research paper

Hi Mandy

Sandra Sinfield suggested this to me - worked with 120

Get the relevant article, enlarge and photocopy onto A3 enough for each
group to have a section of the article -

Divide class into 2 halves - so more manageable for later! You could use
two different articles

Each half ie 12 groups gets a section of the enlarged article (can be as
small as a paragraph)

The group identify the key points in the paragraph - what is the main
point? What is it telling us? What are the facts? What came before this
paragraph , what do they think will come next?

After around 10 minutes, two members from each group come up to the
front - one holds the a3 sheet the other talks through the summary of
the group discussion - so you will end up with 12 at the front in the
'wrong order' the rest of the class then have to work out how to
sequence the 12 students to the paper is put together in the right order
- ie introduction, background context, aims, literature and so on up to
conclusions.

You could do it with 2 papers with your larger group.

I use the

http://www.online-stopwatch.com/countdown-timer/ to keep time as it has
a nice loud ring and my voice isn,t very loud

Hope this helps as an idea:) Debbie

Sent from my iPad