Dear Len and All,
Yes - I do agree that it is useful to de-construct the constituent
practices that make up successful study, the successful graduate - and even
perhaps the successful academic and Learning Developer... In fact (as I was
saying to Gordon Asher off list) - that is how I came to this field in the
first place: asked to teach something called 'study skills' on an early
Access programme - whilst simultaneously studying Critical Theory on an MA
in Film and Television Studies (for Education). This was 1983 and the field
was as yet un-theorised -  so the logical step for me was to de-construct
the strategies, tactics and approaches that made up successful study or a
successful student and to de-mystify them. Similarly to
critically deconstruct the various genres of academia such that people
could understand with what they were wrestling - and wrestle more
powerfully.

I found that my mainly mature students were engaged with the world and with
their subjects - in many ways they were already deep learners (if we want
to use that rubric) - what they lacked if you like was what is often called
cultural capital - but what I like to call academic capital. They did not
necessarily understand the purpose of academic reading - nor how to make
notes in such a way that *they* were enabled to take control of a text for
themselves. Unfamiliar with formal academic genres they did not express
their thoughts to best effect. I did not think that they were deficit
because they did not have this understanding - but I could see that they
operated less powerfully in academia because they did not have these
strategies. I also saw that they could very quickly grasp the constituent
practices that enabled them to engage powerfully with the academic and
start to make their own arguments in ways that would meet approval within a
formal academic setting.

Another thing that these students typically had was a somewhat idealised
notion of Academia as a 'better' place than the factory or the building
site or the shop in which they had operated before. In fact I had hardened
ex-French Foreign Legionnaires drop out of College when they discovered
that academia could be as hostile, unfair and unequal as anywhere else (if
not more so!). I would argue that the majority of 'my' non-traditional
students did not have an understanding of the Academic world as a set of
inter-locking systems: socio-political, economic, hierarchical, cultural...
oh - and for knowledge-construction. So Foucault helped us understand the
discourses in which we were choosing to operate - and the unequal power
relations therein ... and Freire enabled us to *act* with our knowledge.

This is the complexity of successful 'study skills' teaching I think ...
and this in turn is linked  to the desires of the student and what they
want from the educational experience - and also to our attitudes - I still
don't think you can do much better than Carl Rogers who asks us to have
empathy, unconditional positive regard and congruence when dealing with our
students. When we have and show those qualities we are creating a space
*for* our students...

Best wishes,
Sandra

--