Hi,

I would draw your attention to the implementation section of the Finch Report (http://www.researchinfonet.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Finch-Group-report-FINAL-VERSION.pdf):

"9.3. A shift in policy towards the support of publication in open access or hybrid
journals is at the heart of our recommendations. Nevertheless, for the reasons we
have set out in this report, we believe that at least for the short to medium term, the
Government, the Research Councils and the Higher Education Funding Councils
should seek increases in access through all three mechanisms – open access
journals, extensions to licensing , and repositories."

The report is not geared towards gold OA (and hybrid journals) at the exclusion of green and repositories (and if they are as "free" as is suggested, there is no reason to have a repository holding copies of gold OA material, to have your own assurance of preservation, access, internal reporting / compliance, etc.).

And yet, I'm sure most of us can see the value not just in free access at some point, but timely access to permissively licensed material. Whilst the Finch report recognises this as the ultimate goal, it acknowledges that there has to be a transition period.

Further, I'll also draw your attention to the G8 Science Ministers statement, and immediately above point 4. IV - which you quoted - it states:

"We recognise the potential benefits of immediate global access to and unrestricted use of published peer-reviewed, publicly funded research results in line with the necessity of IP protection."

Just like Finch, the G8 statement recognises the value of immediate access under a permissive licence.

imho, the Finch report and the G8 statement are in agreement.

Regards,