The conference below may be of interest to some members.

Best wishes

Neil

The Social History of Learning Disability<http://www.open.ac.uk/hsc/ldsite> (SHLD) research group of The Open University are pleased to announce their 2013 Annual Conference will take place on the 8th July 2013. This year’s conference is titled

‘Avoiding more Winterbourne Views: What can we learn from history?’

The scandal of abuse at Winterbourne View has horrified the country, and led to numerous reports and vows to do better in future. Yet such scandals occur with depressing regularity – Ely Hospital, Longcare, Cornwall, Sutton and Merton, and now Winterbourne View, and the reports make similar recommendations which do not get implemented. Norman Lamb, the Minister of State now responsible for improving support, recently commented that ‘we thought we had addressed the problem of long stay hospitals, but quietly, it was developing again behind the curtains’.

This year’s conference looks to history to help us shed light on the times when things don’t go wrong – to think about what makes for good care and better systems. Hear and discuss stories of local support, past and present, to improve understanding of what, in practice, has supported people to remain resident in their locality of choice.
We are pleased to announce that Margaret Flynn, author of South Gloucestershire Council’s Independent Review of the events at Winterbourne View exposed on the May 2011 Panorama programme, will be our Keynote Speaker.

The Conference will feature papers from academics, family members, staff, professionals, commissioners and people with learning disabilities which explore:

* What can we learn from history to help avoid more scandals and abuse?
* What has enabled people, including those with severe and profound disabilities or with challenging behaviour, to stay local?
* What part does life story work play in helping people to receive support in their local area?
* What roles do families and allies play – advocates, friends, relatives, – in making sure care remains good?
* What is the role of advocacy, self-advocacy and circles of support?
* How far have changes in policy and regulatory regimes made a difference?
* The contribution of learning disability professions such as psychiatry, nursing and social work.

Registration for this exciting event is now available at http://www.open.ac.uk/health-and-social-care/main/research/research-events/shld-conference-2013

Our conferences are inclusive events. All are welcome. We do our utmost to ensure that the event is accessible and that everyone’s voice can be heard.

Best wishes

The Social History of Learning Disability Conference Team

Faculty of Health and Social Care, Horlock, Room 115, Walton Hall, Milton Keynes, MK7 6AA

Tel: 01908 654359 Fax: 01908 654124 Email: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> Web: http://www.open.ac.uk/hsc/ldsite