Hi all

I would agree with that recording strategy completely based on my experience in HERs, using the events & monuments structure and thesauri as appropriate, and also with Rebecca's two areas of concern.

I would also add recording of ploughzone archaeology as manifested through metal detecting activity as one of the areas less well or consistently represented by HERs

In particular

 *
PAS data - available as point data only downloaded from the PAS database.  A major HER enhancement task is required to turn this findspot info into useful, polygonised artefact scatter or interpretive monument records. In Suffolk we estimated this as 2 person years at least (if I recall correctly) and growing daily!
 *
PAS data having a limited use as informing the understanding of archaeological events, as the data is records of positive findspots only, where the locational aspect is recorded using variable techniques/levels of precision, rather than records of areas examined using metal detecting.  The same tends to be subject to data recorded from amateur fieldwalking exercises
 *
Of course the PAS data is a massive step forward as a record of this aspect of ploughzone archaeology, I am simply stating by its very nature it is different in how it can be recorded within an HER compared to other types of ploughzone archaeology recording during archaeological investigation.

Apologies if this is stating the obvious, and is just my two pennies worth.

Best wishes
Sarah
Sarah Poppy
Assistant Inspector of Ancient Monuments (Cambs, Herts and Essex)
Telephone: 01223 582700
Direct Line: 01223 582713
Mobile: 07717 800429

English Heritage