Hi all
I would agree with Neil that the issues of how we understand and manage ploughzone archaeology are far wider reaching than how we handle this data in HERs.

From the discussions it seems to me that HERs are (quite rightly) managing ploughzone archaeological data in the same way as other archaeological information that comes their way (acknowledging that this data is less consistently reported than developer funded archaeology), and that curatorial archaeologists are using data from the ploughzone, alongside other HER data, in their assessment of development proposals.

The Cambridge Archaeological Unit have also gone some interesting work on ploughzone archaeology, and that a comprehensive review of all of this type of methodological fieldwork (both in the published and grey lit) would reap rewards, if it hasn't ready been done.  HERs would obviously be the best pointers for case studies.

Apologies if this overlapped with your post Magnus...

Best
Sarah
Sarah Poppy
Assistant Inspector of Ancient Monuments (Cambs, Herts and Essex)

Telephone: 01223 582700

Direct Line: 01223 582713

Mobile: 07717 800429

English Heritage