Call for Papers: 2013 Northeast Regional Meeting of the Conference on Christianity and Literature: "Literature of Luther: The Individual, Freedom, and Grace"

St Francis College, NYC, November 8-9, 2013 Abstracts due July 15, 2013

It has been almost 500 years since Martin Luther penned his Ninety-Five Theses. It is in view of this upcoming anniversary, and in recognition of the extraordinary impact of Luther on the modern world, that we submit this Call for Papers on the Literature of Luther.

We seek papers on Luther's own literature and the literature that has been demonstrably impacted by Luther. We would like to hear papers that explore Luther's impact on themes such as the individual and the institution, authority and doubt, the problem of faith, the human will, print and propaganda, etc. We are also interested in papers that reflect on Luther as a modern voice.

Along with this theme we will also accept papers that address Christianity and literature in general.

Keynote Speaker: Dr. J. Patrick Hornbeck II: "'The Most Foul

Buffoon': Early English Responses to Martin Luther."

Dr. Hornbeck is Assistant Professor of Theology and Associate Chair for Undergraduate Studies at Fordham University. He is the author of What Is a Lollard? Dissent and Belief in Late Medieval England (Oxford University Press, 2010)

Selected papers will be published in a conference volume. Please email one-page abstracts and session proposals by July 15 to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]:[log in to unmask]>> Dr. John Edwards and Dr. Edward Wesley, co-Chairs.

Dr. John Edwards

Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies

Dr. Edward Wesley

Department of English

St. Francis College

180 Remsen Street