Dear Peter and all,

It depends on how you do the sums.

£34.49 per hour scales up to just under £70k per year
(based on 253 eight-hour working days),
and so looks very generous.  On the other hand, if
every paid contact hour is backed by 10 hours of preparation
(including exam preparation and marking) and we assume
that the lecturer is unavailable for other work
while doing this preparation, then the
rate of pay is effectively £3.45 per hour and is
below the national minimum wage.

The reality (including the non-financial benefit to the
post holder) is likely to fall between these extremes.
There might be further considerations for any Earth Sciences
post that involves field work, which I hope this post
does since its remit includes glaciology.

Regards,
Sheila Peacock.