Hi,

Not sure why you'd need afni, you can just load up the two zstat images in
fslview and look at individual voxels to see if the statistics match (or
are of opposite sign).

The fixed effects model is simply a weighted average, where the weights are
functions of the variances and so they are positive.  That means the
weighted average for a-b would be exactly -1* weighted average for b-a.

As a double-check, I ran my own analysis of a-b and b-a at level 1 for 3
runs and then I ran the [1] and [-1] contrasts at level2 and the a-b for
the [1] contrast exactly matches the b-a with the [-1] contrast.  I viewed
the zstats.  I am using an older version of FSL, but I can't imagine it
would matter.

Not sure what's going on with your data.  Generally, I only run the
positive contrasts at the first level so I'm not eating up disc space.
 Plus the analysis runs faster since you're estimating half the contrasts.
 That said, the results should be identical to running both pos/neg at
level one.

Cheers,
Jeanette