Dear FSL Experts,

we are planning to study the influence of four different context factors on the resting state signal (within subject design). I was wondering how to organize the paradigm with respect to the shimming procedure to ensure
field homogeneity.

1 One option is to organise the scanning session in four separate (9 min) runs applying a different context factor during each run (=4 experimental conditions per subject). Before each run there is an automatic shim.
2 The alternative is  to acquire all 4 experimental conditions in a sinlge run shimming only once instead of shimming before each separate run (the way 'task' fmri is typically done)

Maybe  2) is better because  shimming before each run might introduce a bias to each condition (shimming may not produce identical 'homogeneous' fields ?)

Based on your experience which design would you suggest ?

Thanks a lot!
andi