Hi Jake,

1. Almost certainly not independent, but it doesn't matter, because there
is no need to assume independence with randomise. The spatial dependence,
if any, is taken into account implicitly.

2. They aren't stringent, they are correct. These are the values that
should be used in general, and this a recommendation.

All the best!

Anderson