I am wondering whether it may be important to consider sample size relative to the prevalence of a given condition in the general population. If one is studying the effects of an intervention, for example, on individuals with a rare disorder or on individuals with a specific set of co-morbidities or case-mix factors, then a study of only 75 patients could be considered to have greater external validity than a similar study focusing on a highly prevalent condition that included 10,000 patients. Classifying studies based solely on sample size does not seem to adequately convey how well the findings can be generalized to the population of affected individuals unless somehow the prevalence of the condition is also considered. But perhaps Jon, you are not considering this classification scheme as a way to estimate how valid it is to generalize a study's findings to the larger population.

-----Original Message-----
From: Evidence based health (EBH) [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Matt Williams
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2013 2:58 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: EVIDENCE-BASED-HEALTH Digest - 4 Jun 2013 to 5 Jun 2013 (#2013-141)

Dear Jon,

My feeling would be to use (something like) the log of the study size. Alternatives would be square-root, etc. These would give you fewer values (few studies are > 10e6), and capture the fact that adding 100 pts to a trial has more of an impact if you already have 100 rather than 1000.

In theory, there should be an empirical basis for this - you might try relating it to the formula(e) used for sample size calculation, but I don't have those to hand. I've been meaning to look at this for ages, and have never got round to it.

Hope that's useful,
Matt