Dear colleagues,

While thisis a medieval manuscript, I thought you might find these 3D renderings of interest. I have 16 interactive 3D renderings of pages from Lichfield Cathedral's St Chad Gospels (8th century) available online: http://lichfield.as.uky.edu<http://lichfield.as.uky.edu/> .

This is a beta version but very stable. It has a suite of tools, including annotation, measurement, and generating a URL for any position into which you manipulate an image. Pressing "H" will give you the help menu for rotation options and resizing. Support for 3D varies amongst browsers, but Google Chrome offers excellent support, as does Safari. I'll have the complete manuscript up by summer's end.

This project is in part connected to the legacy of Ross Scaife, who is still dearly missed here at the University of Kentucky. His untimely death left a void in a grant for which he was the sole humanities scholar. Because of funds in this grant, and the need without Ross for access to manuscripts, I was approached by the Director of the Vis Center to see if I could put together an imaging project. I had a project in process with Lichfield Cathedral, and so I was able to finish pulling the project together in less than six months. While the project depended throughout on my research funding and funding from my College of Arts & Sciences, particularly at key moments or the project would not have happened, funds from the grant that Ross had been connected to made the project happen much more quickly. Ross, his generosity and spirit of collegiality are are greatly missed at Kentucky.

Best,
Bill

--
Bill Endres