I thought ICO had issued other guidance and that some of the restrictions had been removed. Can’t seem to find link though.

Doreen

From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Baines, Jonathan
Sent: 19 June 2013 12:15
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Secondary Use of Council Tax Data

Positions about this seem to vary. In 2007 the ICO issued guidance which has now been removed, which was trumpeted as saying

"Council tax information, such as residents’ names and addresses, collected by local authorities can be used for other purposes, according to new guidance published by the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)".

The recent (and current) data-sharing code merely says "Council Tax information is collected under statutory authority so [a Council] should seek legal advice before using the information for a non-Council Tax related purpose"

Not very helpful.

It's section 18 of Schedule 2 to LGFA 1992 by the way.

If I were you I'd ask the ICO for their view, and why their 2007 guidance (which I've found mirrored on this page http://www.ehnetwork.org.uk/library-item/use-personal-information-held-collecting-and-administering-council-tax-ico-guidance) was removed.

Jonathan Baines
Complaints and Information Rights Officer
Legal and Democratic Services
Buckinghamshire County Council
01296 383681
follow us on twitter: @buckscclegal