Assistant Professor in International Development Studies (IDS)/ Sustainable Healthy Urban  Development/  Food security and international Mobility (0.8 - 1.0 fte)

The Department of Human Geography and Planning at Utrecht University seeks to appoint an Assistant Professor in International Development Studies (IDS) with extensive field experience (preferably Africa) and with expertise in the field of sustainable and healthy urban development/food security and international mobility.

 (0,6 fte teaching and 0,4 fte research).

We are looking for a colleague who can initiate, both independently as well as in collaboration with IDS colleagues, new research focusing sustainable and healthy urban development/food security and international mobility, which complements the programs of existing staff. Besides research activities, you will be teaching in the IDS-related MSc programs and play an active role in student and PhD supervision. Furthermore, you will actively pursue funding for research, and contribute to its societal impact.

We seek a highly motivated candidate who holds a PhD in International Development Studies or a relevant related discipline (preferably Human Geography, Development Economics or  Anthropology). If you …

  • have experience in conducting scientific research leading to high-quality publications;
  • have extensive field experience (preferably in Africa);
  • have a good international network with development oriented organizations;
  • have knowledge and experience in mixed method research;
  • have experience with, or are looking forward to acquiring experience in, obtaining research funding;
  • are enthusiastic about -and preferably have experience in- teaching and supervising students at the undergraduate and graduate level; as well as PhD students;
  • are proficient in both written and spoken English;
  • are a team player, who also thrives when working independently;
  • and are looking forward to contribute to complementing our IDS-program, specializing in Sustainable Urban Development/ Urban Governance/ Transnationalism and Mobility and collaborate with other groups within our department,

....we encourage you to apply and are looking forward to meeting you!

It is an advantage if you have some years of experience as a Postdoc researcher.

Offer

The successful candidate will initially be offered a full-time or 0.8 fte temporary position as a lecturer/researcher at the Utrecht University for two years. After 18 months an assessment will be made as to whether the candidate is expected to qualify for a tenured position in a maximum of 2 years. Based on a positive assessment and sufficient means within the section, an extension of another 2 years will be offered in a position of assistant professor. Halfway through the fourth year it will be assessed whether the position can be converted to a tenured post.

Employment conditions are based on the Collective Labour Agreement of the Dutch Universities. Based on the experience and qualifications of the candidate, the gross monthly salary starts in the first year at a minimum of € 2,771.- and a maximum of €4,481.-. The salary is supplemented by a holiday allowance of 8% per year and a year-end bonus of 8.3%. We offer a pension scheme, a contribution to commuting expenses and collective insurance schemes. There are several options to adjust your employment conditions to your personal situation. Facilities for child care and sports are available on our campus, which is only 15 minutes away from the historical city center of Utrecht.
More information: terms of employment.

About the organisation

Utrecht University is the largest University in the Netherlands and the first Dutch ranked university in the Shanghai education ranking. The Department of Human Geography and Planning is part of Faculty of Geosciences, which offers education and research to a population of approximately 2200 students (BSc and MSc) and 575 staff, the Faculty is a strong and challenging organisation. The Faculty is organised in four Departments: Innovation and Environmental Sciences, Earth Sciences, Physical Geography, and Human Geography and Urban and Regional Planning (SGPL).

The International Development Studies group is actively contributing to the bachelor’s and the master's curriculum of the SGPL department, and is responsible for the MSc-IDS programme (1 year) and the International Development Track for the MSc in Sustainable Development (2 years). Within our MSc-programmes, we make connections with our research programme, through the topics, the approach and the internship programme.

            Central to our research and teaching programme is the understanding of processes of societal and environmental change, particularly in Asia, Latin America and Africa, and assessing the consequences of translocal relations for inclusive and sustainable development. Key words: sustainable cities, urban and land governance, private sector development, responsible business, climate change, migration and diasporas.

IDS is the leading partner of LANDac (Academy on Land Governance for equitable and sustainable development, see www.landgovernance.org) and has a large international network.

Additional information

Requests for information about the Research programs of the International Development Studies or informal enquiries may be directed to Annelies Zoomers at e.b. [log in to unmask].

Apply

To apply, please click the button below.

Please send us a letter of application which describes your motivation and qualifications. Furthermore, we would like to receive a description of your personal research plans for the next three years as well as your publishing strategy for this period. If possible, we would also like to receive evidence of your teaching evaluations. Applications should also include a Curriculum Vitae, a list of publications, and the names and addresses of two referees.

Applications are to be sent in before July  1, 2013. The interviews are scheduled in the first  week of July. We seek to appoint by September 1, 2013.