This discussion leads me think about an article I read the other day by
Bruno Latour encouraging to love our technologies as our children, to take
responsibility for our mutant creations. An excerpt from the article
http://convozine.com/monster-theory/31585:

Frankenstein lives on in the popular imagination as a cautionary tale
against technology. We use the monster as an all-purpose modifier to denote
technological crimes against nature. When we fear genetically modified
foods we call them "frankenfoods" and "frankenfish." It is telling that
even as we warn against such hybrids, we confuse the monster with its
creator. We now mostly refer to Dr. Frankenstein's monster as Frankenstein.
And just as we have forgotten that Frankenstein was the man, not the
monster, we have also forgotten Frankenstein's real sin.

Dr. Frankenstein's crime was not that he invented a creature through some
combination of hubris and high technology, but rather that he abandoned the
creature to itself. When Dr. Frankenstein meets his creation on a glacier
in the Alps, the monster claims that it was notborn a monster, but that it
became a criminal only after being left alone by his horrified creator, who
fled the laboratory once the horrible thing twitched to life. "Remember, I
am thy creature," the monster protests, "I ought to be thy Adam; but I am
rather the fallen angel, whom thou drivest from joy for no misdeed... I was
benevolent and good; misery made me a fiend. Make me happy, and I shall
again be virtuous."

Written at the dawn of the great technological revolutions that would
define the 19th and 20th centuries, Frankenstein foresees that the gigantic
sins that were to be committed would hide a much greater sin. It is not the
case that we have failed to care for Creation, but that we have failed to
care for our technological creations. We confuse the monster for its
creator and blame our sins against Nature upon our creations. But our sin
is not that we created technologies but that we failed to love and care for
them. It is as if we decided that we were unable to follow through with the
education of our children.*4*

 Let Dr. Frankenstein's sin serve as a parable for political ecology. At a
time when science, technology, and demography make clear that we can never
separate ourselves from the nonhuman world -- that we, our technologies,
and nature can no more be disentangled than we can remember the distinction
between Dr. Frankenstein and his monster -- this is the moment chosen by
millions of well-meaning souls to flagellate themselves for their earlier
aspiration to dominion, to repent for their past hubris, to look for ways
of diminishing the numbers of their fellow humans, and to swear to make
their footprints invisible?
The goal of political ecology must not be to stop innovating, inventing,
creating, and intervening. The real goal must be to have the same type of
patience and commitment to our creations as God the Creator, Himself. And
the comparison is not blasphemous: we have taken the whole of Creation on
our shoulders and have become coextensive with the Earth.

--
*Belinda Liebelt* BArch (Hons)
PhD Candidate

Monash University