In general, the more you are paid, the more your role is to maintain the status quo, crucially salary differentials. Comm Psychs as well as other members of Psy might well act in ways they consider subversive or liberatory but they are not paid by the state to do this. Even doing something as simple as resisting being part of the Gaze by not keeping notes on patients is regarded as - heaven forbid - unprofessional by the BPS. C

From: Harris Carl (RQ3) BCH <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, 26 June 2013, 9:47
Subject: Re: [COMMUNITYPSYCHUK] Being uncomfortable in uncomfortable places

Great post Abdullah and thank you for prompting and continuing with this stream. You have gone about it in a very consistent and thoughtful way. I liked Wendy's reflection on how Craig's comment piqued her and made her respond with less reflection than normal - but made her respond nevertheless. Danny's subsequent contribution on ethics WAS A BEAUTY.

Like you I found Wendy's most recent post very thought-provoking (and not a little humbling) and it made me reflect on my own actions in my workplace.

Very little of this stuff is easy and we have probably all found ourselves doing things that we thought were in line with our values but then ended up in another uncomfortable place doing something else that makes us feel uncomfortable. See below for a couple of current examples from me:

I have recently, in an attempt to do my bit to defend the NHS (and some may wonder why this is important) been elected a staff governor in our trust. Is this me colluding with the increased marketisation of health in the UK?

I have been involved in early intervention with children and families for some time and am currently delivering parenting programmes. Am I contributing to the decontexualisation of the family from their material circumstances?

To return to your thoughts about the list, the way that you have used community and critical here is interesting. I suspect that some people wont respond on this forum because (as has been well documented) it doesn't always feel safe to do so. Whenever we post, we open ourselves up to criticism and that is certainly a large part of what we are looking for. We are also, however, looking for some solidarity too. If we experience the solidarity we usually find it easier to hear the critique.

Cheers

Carl