Bernhard,

I'm often amazed at how forgiving protein crystallization is, or to put it
another way, how efficient screens are at picking up crystallization hits
even when you do everything wrong.

However if you do go down to 20 + 20 nl drops you have to remember that
probably 3/4 of your protein will be lost by sticking to the plastic of the
plate or forming a skin at the air interface.

You generally get roughly the same number of hits from 1 + 1 ul drops
(where most of the protein is still in solution) as from 100 + 100 nl drops
(roughly half the protein is lost), although the hits will be in different
places.  This implies that, within broad limits, things like protein
concentration don't matter too much.

My view of crystallization is that there's a group of proteins (lysozyme
and many others) where all you have to do is gently push the protein out of
solution, while taking care of nucleation (think microseeding).  For these
proteins it's a matter of *not *adding something that interferes with
crystallization.  Then there are others where you have to add something to
the mix that stabilizes the crystal lattice.  A smaller group requires 2
additives, a few may need 3 ....  At the end there's a bunch that will
never crystallize no matter what you do.

It seems that protein concentration is of secondary importance in screening
- although I accept that it may be crucial in optimization.

Patrick

--
 [log in to unmask]    Douglas Instruments Ltd.
 Douglas House, East Garston, Hungerford, Berkshire, RG17 7HD, UK

 http://www.douglas.co.uk
 Tel: 44 (0) 148-864-9090    US toll-free 1-877-225-2034
 Regd. England 2177994, VAT Reg. GB 480 7371 36