At City College Norwich we tend to do all but the simplest Grade Centre setups ourselves (i.e. in the Blackboard team) as we've found, as Joseph says, the GC is so complex and can do so many things it's better for us to spend a bit of time setting it up as optimally as possibly than have issues during the year because the lecturers didn't quite understand the nuances of Categories, Grading Schemas or Smart Views.

If a number of lecturers are sharing a course we've found it can very quickly get messy if someone isn't in 'overall charge', so with us doing most of the setup it keeps things tidy, and also gives us some consistency i.e. we know all BTEC courses are set up with a very similar configuration, instead of having to get our heads round a unique configuration for each one.

I'm always happy to explain how it works, and guide our more confident lecturers through the setup, but most lecturers are more than happy for us to do the setup for them!  But this then means they have a good system which they will use well during the year.

Chris

From: Blackboard/Courseinfo userslist [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Joseph Gliddon
Sent: 28 June 2013 15:47
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Grade centre training

You have to offer both.
For the vast majority of staff - here is the grade centre, here is how you see submissions, here is how to enter grades
- The above can be done with screen casts.
For the few that try to do more you have to be available to support because you can do practically anything in the gradecentre.

I even have a 3rd rarely used level of support
"That sounds really complicated - tell me what you want to achieve and I will do it for you then show you how it works"

Funnily enough I am currently avoiding finishing off one of those lvl3 requests (because it has reach a boring "add columns to categories" stage).  I dont expect to see another lvl3 for a year or 2.