News just in;

“This has been fixed in our mainline code of Sp15 and has been back-ported to Sp12.  This will now go into testing and scheduling for a cumulative patch.I do not yet know the CP this will be added into.  I expect I will have this information very soon.”

So be careful with that workaround..

From: Blackboard/Courseinfo userslist [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Barrett
Sent: 25 June 2013 16:33
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: bb frameset fix?

Hi,

This post from Kevin Lowey (on the bbadmin list) may be of help here.

This is intentional.  It was done as a security precaution to prevent possible cross-site scripting attacks.  Although I think it is taking this a bit too far to block the ability for the instructor or the system administrator to do this.

One workaround is to create an HTML file on your own system (either in the course or in the "institution" area if you have community).  Inside that file, use HTTP Meta Refresh to link to the external page.  Then in your course, link to the local file instead of the external page.

That worked for our "help" tabs (which linked to help on a separate server).  I suspect it will also work inside courses.

The following is example HTML code to do this redirect. You would replace " https://www.usask.ca/its/courses/coursetools/" with the web site you want to redirect to. The "noscript" is there just in case javascript is turned off and the redirect doesn't work, although if you have javascript turned off then probably most of Blackboard wouldn't work.

The "meta" line in the header basically says "After 0 seconds redirect the web browser to the url specified". So the users are sent to a local file inside Blackboard (avoiding their nasty warning), and THEN that page redirects them to a site located outside blackboard, which displays in the same window.

Of course, now that I've published it here, there will probably be people in Blackboard working on a way to block this workaround  for security reasons :(

  <head>
  </head>
    <noscript>
    </noscript>