I'm not sure about whether it was pagan v. Christian.  I think it was just scientific curiosity.  John Evelyn mentions seeing the preserved bodies of conjoined twins exhibited at Bartholomew Fair (I think) and if you look at the list of stalls at the Fair in the early 18th century, you'll see all sort of peculiarities exhibited.  John Hunter was a real ghoul about getting examples for his museum - including the Irish giant, who must have been baptised, and the Italian midget - Caroline Crachami(?).  Have a look at Jan Bondeson's work on this kind of thing. What we need to do is look at what was normal in society generally rather than instantly assuming that Black people were singled out.

Kathy