I ran Patricia Dark’s query to the listserv last week past our Information Policy team, and below is the response they produced.

Nick

Nicholas Kingsley | Head of Archives Sector Development & Secretary of the Historical Manuscripts Commission
The National Archives | Kew | Richmond | Surrey TW9 4DU | 0208 392 5369:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Dear Dr. Dark,

Thank you for your email enquiry dated June 18th, 2013, which has been passed to me for my attention.  There is an onus on most public sector bodies to provide details of copyright ownership, where known, however, archives fall outside the scope of the Public Sector Information regulations.  Therefore whilst  we would advise that you have no legal obligation to establish copyright ownership, it would be good practice to confirm that the individual  archive does not own copyright, and suggest who might be the owner, if known.

I hope this helps.

Yours sincerely

Judy Nokes
Information Policy Adviser

The National Archives

Dragonfly House

2 Gilders Way

Norwich

NR3 1UB

Tel:  01603 553223

Fax: 01603 553227

Sign up to The National Archives’ Re-users and Licensees  RSS Feed to get the latest news updates on Public Sector Information