From: JASSAM NUTHAR (RCD) CLINICAL SCIENTIST <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: White precipitate in a blood tube
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thursday, 13 June, 2013, 10:23

Dear colleagues,

I have received a query from one of our paediatricians about a white precipitate that forms immediately post blood collection in the bottom of the test tube (forms a ring at the bottom – no preservative). This phenomenon has been happening for a week. The patient had several previous admissions, but this is the first time we notice the white precipitate.

The patient is a 6 yr old, who had multi-organs transplanted. The reason for admission was worsening kidney function, which has improved during this week. He is on the following medications:

Tacrolimus, Prednisolone, Magnesium, folic acid, iron, melatonin (not every night) and chloral (not every night).

He has low Hb and waiting for blood transfusion , other FBC parameters are within the reference range and nothing severely abnormal in his biochemistry ( LFT, Ca profile, TP, immunoglobulins, UE back to normal).

Has anyone experience of this problem and has an explanation? any significance?

Best wishes

Nudar

Consultant Clinical Biochemist

Harrogate & District NHS Foundation Trust

------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk Green Laboratories Work http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/