----- Forwarded Message -----
From: GREGORY CAMPBELL <[log in to unmask]>
To: Julia Cussans <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, 7 May 2013, 12:59
Subject: Re: [ZOOARCH] Odd sheep/goat teeth

Dear Julia:  Personal experience showed me that dental malformations in developing permanent dentition are not likely to be genetic.

I had a slight fever during the development of my own upper right I2.  As a result, the tooth-bud was damaged, and part could not form enamal or dentine properly.  When the permanent tooth emerged, it had a stripe with no enamel and thin dentine down the middle of the outer face of the tooth, which cracked up under bite-force, exposing the pulp.  (Yes, it hurt.)  Emergency dentistry put a groove of false enamel down the front of the tooth, which I have borne ever since.

This never happened again, and never happened to any of my family, so I doubt it's faulty genes.  My incisor and your sheep's premolar probably suffered what the botanists call fasciation.

Greg Campbell
The Naive Chemist