Dear Member

I have received notice of the forthcoming BGS Open Day and have agreed to inform YGS members via our e-mail facility.   I can also give advance notice of programme details not yet available on the BGS website.  The event is to be held at BGS, Keyworth.

Entry is free and there will be a full programme of
talks, demonstrations, tours and activities suitable for all ages. This is the
first full scale Open Day we have held at Keyworth for 25 years and is a great
opportunity for everyone to see our new facilities and the major redevelopment
of the site that has taken place over the past 2-3 years.

BGS Open DaySaturday 8 June 2013,
10.00-16.00 at BGS Keyworth, Notts. NG12 5GG

Book online at www.bgs.ac.uk/openday

Guest speaker Prof Iain
Stewart on “The making of the continents”

Programme of talks by BGS
scientists on current research:· The
real Jurassic Parks: Phil Wilby· The
age of tsunamis: Dave Tappin· Tracing
visitors to our shores over the past 6000 years: Jane Evans· Low-carbon
energy: why geology is important: Mike Stephenson· Space
weather: northern lights and global frights: David Kerridge· 100
years of geochronology: Randy Parrish

Tours will include· Medical
Geology (includes isotope laboratories),· Technical
Engineering and Rock Laboratories,· ‘Geological
landscaping’ of the new-look Keyworth site,· 3D
geology,· The
core and rock storage halls

There will also be displays and demonstrations in the five themed zones:
· Disaster
zone· Maps
to Apps· Fossil
Fun· Anthropo-zone· Water
world

There will be a range of
refreshments available all day.  Paul HildrethGeneral Secretary