I have just read Christopher Howse's article in roday's Daily Telegraph.  At first I thought, 'Good Heavens, a columnist who has read Kipling and knows what he is talking about'.  Then I got about three-quarters of the way through and was brought up with a round turn when I read ". . . are simply the boys at the naval college in Stalky & Co,"  I still think that Christopher H must have read his Kipling, but perhaps, in the same way that Kipling, when he wasn't plagiarising, was dodgy on verifying his references, Howse too hjust hasn't verified his references.

Alastair Wilson