For most of my life I have taken it for granted that I wear designer
label clothing and I still do. It's an unspoken requirement in my
creative profession.

But recently, reading realist writings from the USA, I have come to
understand this is an elite privilege. (And I, some sort of wealthy snob
for wearing designer clothing.)

Designer clothing becomes a sign of wealth rather then good taste and a
sense of elegant style as well as feeling so nice to wear. Dressing with
style and elegance, that is something that money cannot buy; even if you
are a boy band member and hire a stylist. I could still dress those boys
better, and with ease being such handsome young men.

I wear YSL shirts, because they feel good to wear on my skin and thick
cotton is warm and soft, as I do polo short sleeve shirts, with a French
designer name, I cannot spell or pronounce; and my jeans are mere Levis
or something less. I refuse to pay inflated designer prices for a worn
out pair of fading blue jeans... I expect better... fawn soft woollen
fabric designer label trousers to match an Italian designed blue wool
jacket, hand stitched, if nothing less. My shoes, something else, even
if brown leather brogues. And ties, if needed, are always silk and at
least hand finished. Nothing less then silk in a tie can be permitted.

But I am still very curious as to how and why designer labels have
become this sign of wealth... for sure, most of us who wear this stuff
do not pay the advertised retail price... often it is given to us to
wear... and I do wear flannelette shirts from a discount supermarket.

Designer clothing fits easier on the body and remains visually elegant,
being less trauma to wear. Form comes after comfort.

--
BLOG http://abdevpoetics.blogspot.com.au/