[NOTE from Moderator: A VERY long call for submissions, but probably worth reading through for some on our list. As always, please DO NOT reply to this message; use email addresses in message]

Hypermodal Inquiry – A Call for Papers
[X]Special Issue of Qualitative Inquiry

Hypermodality, “the new interactions of word-, image-, and sound-based meanings in hypermedia” (Lemke, 2002, p. 300), is sneaking into scholarship.  From experimental spaces focusing on audiovisuality, such as AudioVisual Thinking, to multimodal spaces dedicated to media studies, such as In Media Res, to post disciplinary spaces examining modernity, such as Interstices, hypermodality is emerging as a space in which to think and respond differently.

We find this space exciting and daunting, a drop vibrating to unfold. This potential unfolding in qualitative inquiry has brought to the fore visions of possibility—fragments of that to become, and questioning of practice--what is inquiry, meaning, authorship, copyright, ethics, beauty, and intent?  While some have begun to play in this space, for us, too often a traditional structure is maintained – a two dimensional outline with multimodal components.  Others have pushed technology further, creating three-dimensional interactions that include image, sound, and hypermedia. This experimentation excites us. We know, dream, passion more to come.

We desire to play in this unmanifest potential.  Therefore, we invite potential contributors, academics and the public from any position, to construct hypermodal exemplars and offer methodological insight into the possibilities of hypermodal inquiry.

The resulting collection will be published as a special issue of Qualitative Inquiry guest edited by Jodi Kaufmann and Teri Holbrook. Information about the journal is available at http://intl-qix.sagepub.com
So much of qualitative inquiry involves the spoken and written word—the spoken words of participants, the written transcriptions of interviews, the final form of the article or chapter on the page. Even much of the analysis that we undertake as qualitative inquirers occurs through worded practices, whether in the coding for themes or writing as a method.  In recent years alternative forms of qualitative research have been taken up as a response to the perceived limitations of traditional research practices and presentation formats, yet these breaks with conventions often remain imbricated with the word.

This privileging of words in qualitative research is in part a function of technology; pen and paper, after all, have served researchers well for centuries. However, evolving technologies have made other forms of data collection, analysis, and presentation not only possible but also feasible, affordable, and intriguing.  Mobile, on-the-go technologies such as tablets and smartphones, digital SLR and HD video cameras, open ware and shareware image and audio editing software are just a few of the technological tools readily available to qualitative inquirers intent on innovating their practices to include other than word-only methods and forms.

But as we survey the field and play with multimodal forms of expression in our own lives, we find ourselves wondering…just what is possible? How might the multimodal affordances of technologies—the capabilities that allow us to record, remix, animate in words, images, and sound—be put to use in ways that we have not yet imagined? What kinds of sights, expressions, soundscapes, narratives can be constructed that have not yet been thought? Given space, time, and permission, what might we do?

Submissions should include two related parts:

1)    A digital piece that expands the possibilities of hypermodal inquiry.

·      This work may be in any form (video, podcast, hyperlinked pdf, etc.) as long as it is digital.

·      It should push the possibilities of hypermodal inquiry.

·      It should be technologically and theoretically of quality.

·      The maximum size of this piece is 2G

    A link to this piece will accompany the textual component published in the hard copy of the journal.

2)    A textual component.

Since the space and relationship between text and hypermodal inquiry has not been fully explored, we do not want to mandate a structure for this component.  Naming it too quickly forecloses possibility.  For some authors the written component may be a traditional research manuscript, discussing the theoretical and practical components of their work.  For others, this textual component may be a narrative, a rhizome, a poem or, or, or. The author must decide what pushes this work the furthest.  What we do desire is that the textual component is beautifully written, pushes the boundaries of thought, and encourages us to think differently.  This component may be between one and 5,000 words.

Abstracts should be submitted by August 31, 2013 to Jodi Kaufmann ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) and Teri Holbrook ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>).  Final submissions are due March 1, 2014.  If you have any questions, email [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>