I always remember my first OH manager, a lovely gentle little white haired lady (hiding a back bone made of steel!) used to actually keep a wand in her desk and take it out and wave it at certain employees and managers when they were looking to OH for a magic solution :)

On 17 May 2013 19:21, [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
On quest for my Euromillions: Davenports at Charing Cross Station sell excellent magic tricks – sadly, I think they are currently out of stock of said crystal balls.

They do have 12 magic  wands for the grand price of £14.00. The brand of wand, “Silly Billy”, says it all really.
(http://www.davenportsmagic.co.uk/acatalog/info-1414.html)

Anne

On 17/05/2013 17:58, "Susan Gorton" <[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Well said – great end to the week where more than once, myself and my HR colleagues, have bemoaned the lack of a crystal ball and a magic wand..

Susan Gorton | OH Nurse Manager | Occupational Health Department | Great Ormond Street Hospital NHS Foundation Trust | Level 3, Ormond House, 26-27 Boswell St., London WC1N 3JZ |020 7405 9200 Ext 0247 | DD to OHD 020 78138554 | Direct Fax 020 78138355 | Mobile 07833294568

Please be advised that all e-mail communication relevant to assisting in the management of the OH process will be printed and entered into the individual's OH file or copied and added as an electronic note on their electronic OH record. This may therefore be disclosed under the Data Protection Act (1998).

From: [log in to unmask]" target="_blank">[log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of sharon naylor
Sent: 17 May 2013 17:50
To: [log in to unmask]" target="_blank">[log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Future dated Fit Note

If this is as Anne says then the GP is being rather naive. Having a note from your doctor, or your Mum saying that you are stressed doesnt mean that any management processes will cease until you are "better". Any savvy HR person will just recommend that the processes continue with the info they have, and that it may be to the persons detriment that they dont engage as they will have no opportunity to present their case.

And, as ever - the magic note is advice to the individual not the employer, and its only real validity is for SSP purposes. Not sure that I would even bother liaising with the GP as my crystal ball is showing me quite clearly what the likely response would be.....