I agree that managers and employees might need sign posting towards a
conversation about their circumstances Diane but do you think OH should be
dictating/directing the outcome of that conversation with specific advice
to reduce hours etc?
On May 15, 2013 7:14 AM, "Diane Romano-Woodward" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Interesting discussion , also made me wonder if I have
> ever mentioned significant other in reports.
>
> There may be relevance in  the report if the person involved  is caring
> for someone who  is likely to be considered to have a disability under Eq
> Act 2010
>
> (and by virtue of the person having chemotherapy and cancer I would
> suggest that is a yes).
>
> but the details of the disability  need not be disclosed.
>

> HR/manager my appreciate the heads up on caring duties
> as some people struggle on for many years without disclosing that they are
> carers.
>

> http://www.nhs.uk/carersdirect/guide/rights/Pages/carers-rights.aspx
>
> Carers and employment rights
>
> Since the Employment Act 2002<http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2002/22/contents> became
> law, working parents of disabled children under 18 have the right to
> request flexible working arrangements. Furthermore, since April 2007, you
> also have the right to ask for flexible working if you are a carer of an
> adult who is a relative or lives at the same address as you.
>
> While you have the right to ask for flexible work in these
> circumstances, it is important to know that employers are not bound to
> grant these requests. However, they must give business reasons for refusing
> a request for flexible working.
>
> Carers also have the right to take unpaid time off work<http://www.nhs.uk/CarersDirect/workandlearning/work/Pages/timeoffforemergencies.aspx> for
> dependents (the people they care for) in an emergency.
>

> http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Ifsomeoneelsehascancer/Workingwhilecaringforsomeone/Legalrights.aspx
>
> http://www.gnlaw.co.uk/further-protection-for-carers-from-discrimination/
>

> http://www.actionforme.org.uk/professionals/employers-and-managers/when-your-employee-is-a-carer/index
>

> Diane Romano-Woodward