Dear Deborah
My thesis looked at the political developments of midwife care from a sociological perspective. Look at the background chapters.  The thesis is online at

Sandall,J. (1998) Midwifery work, family life and well-being: a study of occupational change, Unpublished Doctoral Thesis, Department of Sociology, University of Surrey. http://epubs.surrey.ac.uk/theses/11/

Some is published in papers. Do contact me if you cant get hold of earlier papers. Some can be downloaded from Researchgate. http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jane_Sandall/publications/

Sandall J. (1996) Continuity of midwifery care in Britain: A new professional project, Gender, Work and Organisation 3 (4): 215-26.

Sandall,J. (1995) Choice, Continuity and Control: Changing Midwifery, towards a sociological perspective, Midwifery, 1995 Dec;11(4):201-9.

Sandall,J. Bourgeault,I. W.Meijer. BA. Schuecking, (2001) Deciding who cares: winners and losers in the late twentieth century, pp 117-138, (Eds) Raymond DeVries, Cecilia Benoit, Edwin van Teijlingen, Sirpa Wrede, Birth by Design: Pregnancy, maternity care and midwifery in North America and Europe, Routledge.

Bourgeault,I. Declerq.E. Sandall,J. (2001) Changing birth: Interest groups and maternity care policy, pp51-69, (EdsRaymond DeVries, Cecilia Benoit, Edwin van Teijlingen, Sirpa Wrede, Birth by Design: Pregnancy, maternity care and midwifery in North America and Europe, New York: Routledge

Wrede,S. Benoit,J. Sandall,J. (2001) The state and birth/the state of birth: Maternal health policy in three countries, pp28-50, (Eds) Raymond DeVries, Cecilia Benoit, Edwin van Teijlingen, Sirpa Wrede, Birth by Design: Pregnancy, maternity care and midwifery in North America and Europe, New York: Routledge

Benoit C, Wrede S, Bourgeault I, Sandall J, de Vries R, van Teijlingen ER.  (2005) Understanding the social organisation of maternity care systems: Midwifery as a touchstone, Sociology of Health and Illness 2005 Sep;27(6):722-37.

Wrede S, Benoit C, Bourgeault I, van Teijlingen E, Sandall J, de Vries  R. (2006) Decentred comparative research: context sensitive analysis of maternal health care, Social Science and Medicine, 2006 Dec;63(11):2986-97.

Hatem M, Sandall, J. (Joint First Author and Contact Author) Devane D, Soltani H. Gates,S. (2009) Midwife-led versus other models of care for childbearing women, Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2009, Issue 3.

Sandall,J. (2012) "Every Women Needs a Midwife, and Some Women Need a Doctor Too", Birth: Issues in Perinatal Care, Volume 39, Issue 4, pages 323–326.

Sandall,J. (2012) The politics of evidence and complex interventions: taking a long view through a sociological lens of continuity of midwifery care, Evidence Based Midwifery, 10,3:76-79.

Jane Sandall
Professor of Women's Health
Division of Women’s Health, King’s College London
Women’s Health Academic Centre King's Health Partners
10th Floor, North Wing, St. Thomas' Hospital, Westminster Bridge Road
London SE1 7EH
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/medicine/research/divisions/wh/index.aspx

 Tel: 020 7188 8149
Fax: 020 7620 1227