The Oral History of British Science team is pleased to announce that a further six extracts from video interviews have been added to the British Library YouTube Channel at

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAFE166FF9369ACE5  taking the total to 14.  Newly uploaded interviews are:

Eric Wolff talking about how cores of ice drilled from Antarctica and Greenland are used to determine climate changes (and other changes) over the past 800,000 years

Carole Williams discussing her experiences as the first female research scientist aboard the Royal Research Ship Discovery

Richard  West talking about working in the field and in his home laboratory where he investigates environmental change in Britain over the last 2.5 million years

Tractor driver Robert Boughen discussing sharing his memories of local environmental change with Richard West

Electronics technician Melvyn Mason on the use of  radio sonobuoys in the 1960s for seismic refraction studies at sea

These join existing interviews with John Coplin (RB211), Ralph Hooper (Harrier Jump Jet), Ray Bird (HEC1 computer), John Scott-Scott (Black Arrow), John Charnley (RAE Farnborough), Melvyn Mason (radio sonobuoys), Joe Farman (demonstrating the Dobson spectrophotometer) and ‘Ideas in the Bath’, our public event held in March, which is available in its entirety.

Access to many interviews and transcripts continues to be offered through BL Sounds, http://sounds.bl.uk/Oral-history/Science

Further full interviews will be added to this in due course.

All interviews, now numbering close to 100,  are catalogued in the British Library Sound and Moving Image Catalogue (http://cadensa.bl.uk).  The catalogue contains detailed content summaries and a catalogue search by key word is available.

Later this year we will be launching our website, Voices of Science, which will showcase audio and video clips from the project as well as an extensive collection of photographs.

General information about the project is currently available at http://www.bl.uk/aboutus/stratpolprog/oralhist/oralhist.html

Any queries about the project should be sent to  [log in to unmask]

The OHBS Team