I like "succour and salvation", not only for the alliteration, but also because the first term, "remedium" seems to apply specifically to assistance in purgatory.

Frans van Liere

School of Historical Studies
Institute for Advanced Study
1 Einstein Drive
Princeton NJ 08540
>>> Louise Hampson <[log in to unmask]> 05/23/13 8:45 AM >>>

I wouldn't personally use 'salvation' as a translation, but I don't think
the distinction is between the souls of the living and the dead. Instead I
think it is defining a two-stage process to be undergone by the soul which
captures the idea of some kind of remedial process being necessary then
preservation of the newly-restored soul from further slurs and hurts. So
something like 'healing and preserving' or ' succour and keep safe' -
neither are very elegant, but I think this is the meaning intended.
Louise Hampson

--

*Louise Hampson*

*Development Officer*

*The Centre for the Study of Christianity and Culture*

*Berrick Saul Building Room 119*

*University of York*

*York*

*YO10 5DD*

* *Find us on *Facebook* at  http://www.facebook.com/ChristianityAndCulture

*www.christianityandculture.org.uk *

* **Tel: +44 (0)1904 328095*

* *

*Times Higher Education University of the Year 2010 *

*EMAIL DISCLAIMER  **http://www.york.ac.uk/docs/disclaimer/email.htm*

to: [log in to unmask]