Dear All

Thank you for information sent in response to my request for help about how to decide on library home page links.

When reviewing library website design:

-          few authorities undertook a formal user survey

-          some authorities used comments from the SOCITM online survey to inform decisions

-          Google analytics of the previous site was the most popular method of identifying priority links

-          Some authorities used comments and suggestions made by the public overtime

Several mentioned the need to cull their websites and felt that the number of pages was out of control.

Useful links mentioned in replies include:

-          http://www.walkingpaper.org/3974 (see reply from David Lee King on the importance of designing for People and Drop the Reference Bomb who’s message is simplify, simplify, simplify and summarises many library websites as “There are many library landing pages with so many content and navigation options that it’s difficult to really find specific things”.)

-          http://www.socitm.net/info/214/socitm_insight/182/better_connected_2013/1

I have also attached the interesting Socitm Insight ‘How well are library services presented on a local authority websites?

Best wishes

Jo

Joanne Simmons

Stock and Information Services Librarian

Brighton & Hove City Libraries

City Services

Brighton & Hove City Council

Jubilee Library, Jubilee Street, Brighton, BN1 1GE

Tel 01273 296955

www.citylibraries.info

I work Mondays and Tuesdays