From: UK medical/ health care library community / information workers [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Conway Des - Head of Knowledge Resources
Sent: 08 May 2013 16:49
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Current awareness services for primary care?

Hi Matthew,

I edit the News and Information Bulletin which is produced on a monthly basis and loaded up on to our (Nottingham Knowledge Resources) website here<http://www.knowledgeresources.nottinghamcity.nhs.uk/index.php/our-services/457-current-awareness.html> and the CASH website via the link you posted below.

Due to all the system changes some of the Bulletins have temporarily disappeared and NHS England has issued the following announcement which will appear in my May 2013 Bulletin:

The future of bulletins
Over the next six months the communications team at NHS England aim to evolve bulletins to create a new and more interactive format that will provide greater flexibility in how they communicate. To assist this, if you have any ideas for improvement or feedback on current bulletins, please get in touch via email<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. Some of the Bulletins which were previously available online from DH, including the AHP Bulletin and the Medical Director's Bulletin are now being made available via email and interested staff can sign up here<http://www.england.nhs.uk/bulletins/>.

NHS England seems to have adopted a weekly newsletter called NHS News:
NHS News
NHS England<http://www.england.nhs.uk/category/publications/nhs-news/> has published the following new bulletins:

  *   NHS news: issue 1<http://kingsfund.chtah.com/a/hBRZC5mB7R$KDB8x393NsfYDpZW/link10>. This online launch issue provides updates on a range of current issues and developments, including the NHS Constitution, patient and carer involvement and the Friends and Family Test.
  *   NHS news: issue 2<http://www.england.nhs.uk/2013/04/11/nhs-news-issue-02/>. The headline article in this issue is about the new NHS England Business Plan for 2013/14 - 2015/16, called Putting Patients First, which explains how we will deliver our mandate from the Government and ensure the best possible outcomes for patients.
  *   NHS news: issue 3<http://www.england.nhs.uk/2013/04/19/nhs-news-issue-03/>. NHS England responds to 2012 inpatients survey Jane Cummings, NHS England's Chief Nursing Officer, today welcomed the positive findings in the NHS inpatient survey but urged hospitals to do more to tackle variations in the way patients perceive their care.
  *   NHS news: issue 4<http://www.england.nhs.uk/2013/04/25/nhs-news-issue-4/>. NHS England today joins with Public Health England, DH and local authorities across the country to urge parents of 10 - 16 year olds to prevent measles<http://www.england.nhs.uk/2013/04/25/measles/> by getting their children vaccinated with the MMR jab.

Public Health England (PHE)has also issued its first monthly newsletter:
PHE Bulletin, Issue 1
Public Health England has published 'PHE Bulletin, Issue 1, April 2013'<https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/193345/PHE_Bulletin_April_30_2013.pdf>. This new Bulletin is aimed at key stakeholders and all those concerned with public health. This issue includes: Our priorities for 2013-14; PHE's marketing plan for 2013-14; Other PHE and public health news; and details of all PHE's centres and regions<https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/phe-centre-addresses-and-phone-numbers>.

Another Bulletin I have flagged up recently is:
Community Pharmacy News
The Pharmaceutical Services Negotiating Committee (PSNC) has published 'Community Pharmacy News, April 2013'<http://www.psnc.org.uk/news.php/1560/april_cpn_is_online>. This month issue features a PSNC summary of the new health and care system; new PharmOutcomes goes live; and NHS Health Check success.

There's also the Commissioning Excellence Newsletter from PCC:
Commissioning Excellence
Primary Care Commissioning (PCC)has published 'Commissioning Excellence, March 2013'<http://www.pcc-cic.org.uk/sites/default/files/articles/attachments/comm_excellence_march_2013_web.pdf>. Commissioning support needs to be focused on transformation not on transactions, according to Bob Ricketts, the man in charge of commissioning support at the NHS CB. He argues that post Francis concerns about quality and safety and renewed emphasis on QIPP need to be at the heart of CCG efforts and therefore driving commissioning support. Also in this issue are the usual case studies, analysis and informed comment.

And there is also the Better Healthcare Public Health (BHPH) Newsletter sent out monthly by [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. This was formerly known as the Public Health Commissioning Network (PHCN). The May 2013 issue has just been distributed but older versions are available via the Solutions for Public Health website here<http://www.sph.nhs.uk/sph-psu/bhph/network-newsletters/network-newsletters>.

I appreciate that some of the above might not be all directly linked to primary care but the links between Public Health, commissioning and primary care are obviously very strong.

Good Luck.

Des

Des Conway
Head of Knowledge Resources