From: UK medical/ health care library community / information workers [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Rey Patricia
Sent: 20 May 2013 13:52
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Library cards v barcode labels

When we first introduced barcodes for library members our intention was to add them to people’s existing security passes. However, just as we were about to do so, this was scuppered as the issuers of the security cards decided to use up the entire back of the card stating “If found, please return to…” So we use preprinted cards with details of the regional catalogue & Athens info and just stick our barcodes (which we print) on them. These cards (once we have trimmed them) are small enough to fit behind the security pass in the holder but we find that many people leave them behind. This is because those who work in Theatres (for infection control purposes) need to have a pass which can be sterilised/washed and our cards are made of cardboard, so they keep them in their purse/wallet which they don’t have on them when they are working. You might have to think about producing washable barcodes if you’re adding them to existing passes.

I’m torn between being very strict “If you don’t bring your library card you can’t borrow or request items” and being accommodating (to maximise library usage) “It’s OK. We’ll look it up for you”. At the moment being accommodating is winning. However, we now have a self service terminal and people need their barcode to use that, so more people are now remembering to bring the barcoded card with them.

Regards

Tricia Rey
Library Services Manager
Queen Victoria Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
East Grinstead