-----Original Message-----
From: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Angie Cope, American Geographical Society Library, UW Milwaukee
Sent: 01 May 2013 14:45
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Theft alert/report - Eastern European maps

-------- Original Message --------
Date:   Wed, 1 May 2013 08:56:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:   LINDA MUSSER <[log in to unmask]>
To:     MAPS-L <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Colleagues,

The following incident was reported last week at the Pennsylvania State University.  Police are investigating but we want to inform the maps library community as soon as possible so that others may check their collections.  If other libraries determine they have also suffered losses, officials at Penn State would appreciate knowing of it.  In the absence of our maps librarian, Helen Sheehy, head of the Social Sciences Library, is taking the lead on this.  Please contact me or Helen directly if you require more details (Helen's contact information is at the end of this message).

Linda Musser
Head, Fletcher L. Byrom Earth & Mineral Sciences Library Pennsylvania State University
814-863-7073
====================================

I am sad to report that the Pennsylvania State University’s Donald W.
Hamer Maps Library suffered a major theft during March 2013.While we are still assessing the full extent of the theft we have identified eight
(8) large-scale map sets that were hit.All are pre-WWII or WWII-era topographic maps of Eastern European countries.The details are listed below.Please be alert to researchers from outside your institutions showing interest in maps from this geographic area and era.If you have any questions or concerns or if you have any information to share, please contact me at [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> or 814-863-1347.

Helen Sheehy
Head, Social Sciences and Maps Libraries Pennsylvania State University

*[Poland 1:25,000]*
Wojskowy Instytut Geograficzny (Poland)
Instytut, 1931-1939.
Our call number: G6520s25.P6

*Austria 1:75,000 [cartographic material]* Great Britain. War Office. General Staff. Geographical Section.
512 Fd. Survey Coy., R.E.,
[1911- ]
Our call number: G6490 s75.G4

*[Czechoslovakia 1:75,000] *
Vojenský zeměpisný ústav (Prague, Czech Republic)
Vojensky zemepisny ustav Praze, 1918-1935.
Our call number:G6510 s75.v6

*Russland 1:50,000 *
Germany. Heer. Generalstab.
OKH Gen St d H,
194-?-
our call number:G7010s50.G4

*Osterreichische Karte 1:25,000
*Austria. Militär-Geographisches Institut.
Militärgeographisches Institute, 1919-
Our call number: G6490 s25.A82

*Deutsch-Jugoslawische Grenze 1:25,000. [cartographic material] * Germany. Heer. Generalstab.
Hauptvermessungsabteilung XIV, [1941]-
Our call number: G6080 s25.G4

*Osterreichische Karte 1:25,000. [cartographic material] * Austria. Bundesamt für Eich- und Vermessungswesen.
Bundesamt für Eich- und Vermessungswesen,
[19--?]-
Our call Number: G6490 s25.A8

*Generalgouvernement 1:25000 (4-cm-karte) : Sonderausgabe! X. 1940 : nur für den Dienstgebrauch!* D. Mil.-Kart. Inst., 1940-1944.
Our call number: G6520 s25.G41

Helen M. Sheehy
Head, Social Sciences Library
208 Paterno Library
Pennsylvania State University
University Park, PA  16802

[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>; (814) 863-1347