  From: David Kerry
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2013 2:47 PM
  Subject: Re: Keeping the Qur'an on Library shelves

  Dear Chloe,

  A similar issue was raised on the ABTAPL mailing list a few years ago (that issue was a reader who wanted all Qur'ans placed on the top shelf). It is worth remembering that the issues only arise for the Qur'an in the Arabic text, not in translations.

  The discussion also included mention of another religion, whose scriptures were supposed to be placed on a table that people could walk around.

  I seem to remember that the general conclusion was that the library could not cater for all these ideas, while remaining confession-neutral in its organisation. Also apart from being space-inefficient, such special arrangements would disrupt the organisation of the library making the scriptures concerned harder to find (whether be adherents of the religion or by others who wished to consult them).

  But surely a reader who had such a conscientious approach to their scriptures would have their own private copy anyway, which they could use without the need to impose their approach on other readers?

  David Kerry
  Librarian
  Union Theological College, Belfast