Hi

I recently conducted a study on the methods used in information services
to measure service performance.  I said that I would cascade the results
to respondents and I've included them here.  The survey contains
I allowed respondents to give multiple answers which is why results
don't add up to 100% or 100 respondents.

The main conclusions drawn from the survey is that performance
measurement and impact assessment is time consuming and difficult to do.
Services need to use a variety of methods to get good results.
Anecdotal evidence suggests that even when mechanisms are put in place
to measure performance e.g. feedback and customer satisfaction - it
isn't always forthcoming!

Thanks

Carol

Carol Parker

Learning Centre Coordinator

(Hours: Monday - Friday 7.30am - 4.00pm

-----------------------------

Tel: 023 80577468

City College Southampton

St Mary Street, Southampton, SO14 1AR

www.southampton-city.ac.uk <http://www.southampton-city.ac.uk>

Up and coming Events at City College
<http://www.southampton-city.ac.uk/Home/default.asp?id=385>

For the latest online learning resources visit the Information Station:
The service that never sleeps <http://www.southampton-city.ac.uk/tis/>

Results from Performance Measurement Survey

Q.1 What sector is your library in?

Sector                                   No. of respondents

F.E.                                         39

H.E.                                        47

H.E. & H.E                            6

Research                             9

Other (Health x 1, 6th Form x 3)

Q.2 What are the most effective key performance indicators used?

KPI
Percentage

Performance indicators are not used
4

Total number of visits to the library
51

Circulation statistics
78

Spend per user
14

Number of enquiries fulfilled
24

Print resource usage
44

E-resource usage
69

User satisfaction in the service
76

User satisfaction from information literacy programmes
32

Total number of inductions carried out
49

Availability of the service
25

Accessibility of the service
20

Users of the service as a proportion of the total population
11

Resources per user
17

Work stations per user
24

Other includes:

Time taken to fulfil ILL

Occupancy rate of study and computer places

Impact of library/LRC use on A level grades

Cost per download

Impact of information literacy training

Q.3 What is the most effective way of gathering user feedback?

Method
No. of respondents

User surveys
55

Focus groups
36

Formal complaints/feedback procedures                              32

Online feedback mechanisms
24

Organisational/institutional surveys
30

Student council
18

Student union
16

National surveys
20

Notice boards
6

Social media
18

Other
6

Other includes:

Collect notes, e-mails

Mystery shoppers

Observational studies

Informal talks with students

Ethnographic students

Social media

Q.4 Do you gather feedback from users internal to your organisation?
E.g. teaching and support staff?

Method
No. of respondents

Discussion at meetings
6

Comments and suggestions
2

Feedback forms
3

Staff voice meetings
1

One-to-one sessions
4

Surveys
19

Board of study
2

Annual survey
6

Liaison role
4

Course committees
3

Focus groups
3

Q.5 How do you measure the impact/outcomes of your service on your
organisation?

Method
No. of respondents

No impact/outcome assessment is currently undertaken
21

Library visits compared with academic achievement
3

Resource borrowing compared with academic achievement
11

E-resource usage compared with academic achievement
7

Attendance of information literacy programmes
14

User satisfaction
40

Other
11

Other includes:

Post service survey

Impact of 6 book challenge

Review of coursework/research tasks for evidence of developing IL skills

Annual record of support we have provided to subject departments

Impact reporting system

Participation in the library impact data project

We also measured against graduate destination

The fact that we are also full up tells us we must be doing something
right

Relationship to academic success is something I would like to explore

Would love to find some way to link with academic achievement which
doesn't involve hours of work!

Q.6 Do you benchmark your service?  If so, what criteria or standard do
you use?

Sector                                                   No. of
respondents                                        Criteria/Standard

F.E.                                                         21
COLRIC

H.E.                                                        20
SCONUL

F.E. Other includes:

Customer service excellence

CoFHE

QDP survey software provider

MEGlib annual survey results

Wessex 6th Form library group

Matrix standard

Consortium of 6th Form Colleges

Peer group assessment

H.E. Other includes:

National student survey

Customer service excellence

iBarometer

CILIP

libQUAL

Russell Group

Q.7  How do you communicate the results of performance measurement
within your organisation?

Method
Percentage

Service level agreement
33

Annual report
50

Quarterly report
9

Self assessment review
56

Business report
19

Other includes:

Report to senior manager group

You said, we did

Customer service excellence

Investors in people

Strategic plan and annual operational objectives

Termly service standard reports

Feedback to college community via VLE

Student support services to Quality Committee

Bite size publicity reports

SPOC results

Infographic posters in the LC

Presentations to stakeholders