From: learning development in higher education network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Andrew
Sent: 17 May 2013 10:37
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Learner-centered behavioural science

My understanding is that behavioural science is a term used to group psychology, sociology and other subjects that study human behaviour - the use of the two words would generally indicate the tradition of behaviourism and narrowly defined scientific approaches although the term Applied Behavioural Science is used for very different approaches  - I did the Diploma in Behavioural Science at what was then North London Poly which included bioenergetics, gestalt and other 'humanistic' approaches, and there is still a Journal of Applied Behavioral Science (http://jab.sagepub.com/content/early/recent) which continues that tradition (but probably in more modern forms).

So the background of the term is contradictory.

A search in the journal of applied behavioral science found not matches for learner-centered - so the term itself is still proving illusive!

David

Margaret MacDougall wrote:

Thanks for the prompt responses, David.

I have been asked to address reviewer feedback in response to a manuscript I submitted for publication. One (anonymous) reviewer has commented that in terms of background, my manuscript needs "deeper exploration and discussion of ... learner-centered behavioural science." They don't explain further and therefore I am currently sending out some feelers to see if the expression "learner-centered behavioural science" strikes a chord with anyone involved in research in student learning.

If anyone has relevant suggestions as to possible meanings, I would be most happy to hear from them.

Best wishes

Margaret